Posted : 2013/03/18 11:52 pm
A delegation from the prosecutor's office will fly to Libya to follow up on the recent attack on an Egyptian church in Benghazi, as well as the murder of a Copt and the continued detention of Egyptians there.
The Egyptian Coptic Church in Benghazi was attacked for the second time on Thursday, marking the third time an Egyptian church in Libya was attacked in recent months. A church in Misrata was attacked in December, killing two and injuring dozens.
Mostafa Dewidar, spokesperson for the prosecution, said the public prosecutor is monitoring all of these cases.
Earlier this month, 50 Egyptian Copts were arrested in Benghazi on charges of proselytizing and illegally entering the country. Over 20 were detained, one of whom died in custody.
The Turkish Anadolu news agency reported that the deceased, Ezzat Atallah, had died of natural causes while detained, whereas 20 other detainees were released and returned to their jobs there.
Four detainees are still in custody, said Ali al-Ashry, the assistant foreign minister for consular affairs.
Edited translation from MENA