Posted : 2013/03/08 12:34 am
Clashes between security forces and demonstrators in Port Said Thursday left 35 people injured, including two who sustained injuries from live bullets, Health Ministry Undersecretary Helmy al-Afny said.
He said 13 sustained injuries from birdshot, and 20 experienced tear gas inhalation.
Unrest in the Suez Canal city continued with renewed clashes Thursday evening after a short hiatus, state news agency MENA reported. The clashes began when boys threw stones at security forces.
The violence broke out Sunday after the Interior Ministry announced a decision to transfer defendants in the Port Said football violence case to a prison outside the city, ahead of a final ruling set for Saturday.
The defendants are accused of killing 72 football fans after a match in February last year. In a previous verdict, the court sentenced 21 defendants to death, causing outrage among many Port Said residents.
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm